Matthew J. Growcock
Matt is the firm’s Managing Member. He joined the firm as a member in 2012, after practicing with a national law firm. His experience is in civil litigation, including bench trials, multi-day jury trials, and appeals. Matt’s clients range from individuals to small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. His practice is concentrated in the areas of product liability, insurance, personal injury, medical negligence, railroad defense, employment and general business disputes. With his appellate work, Matt has drafted briefs as both the appellant and respondent, and successfully has argued in front of the Court of Appeals for the Southern District of Missouri. His experience also includes analyzing complex insurance policies and preparing coverage opinions for both commercial and residential policies. He also assists corporations and individuals in negotiating and drafting nondisclosure, noncompetition and licensing agreements as well as counseling clients on how to minimize or avoid litigation exposure. In the area of public law, Matt currently serves as the City Attorney for the City of Fremont Hills and has served as the attorney for the Village of Phillipsburg.
Matt has a Martindale-Hubbell rating of “AV Preeminent,” which is the highest rating available. Matt’s expertise and commitment to providing exceptional legal representation has also earned him the respect of the Southwest Missouri legal and business communities. He was selected by the Springfield Business Journal for inclusion in its 2012 Class of “40 Under 40.” Matt received statewide recognition for his legal work in 2011 and 2012, when he was selected as one of Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars.” Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers recognized him for “Defense Litigation” in both 2013 and 2014. In 2010, he was selected by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as one of Missouri’s “Up and Coming Lawyers.”
Outside his practice, Matt is dedicated to serving his community. He serves on the board of directors for two not-for-profit organizations, and is very active in several others. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family and playing golf.
- Board of Directors, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, 2014-Present
- Board of Directors, Make-A-Wish Foundation (Southern Missouri Region Chapter), 2012-2014; Executive Leadership Team for 2012 Walk for Wishes.
- Board of Directors, Champions Committed to Kids, 2013-Present
- Board of Directors, Harmony House, 2007-2012; Board of Development Committee, 2007-2009; Treasurer, 2009-2011; Finance Committee, 2009-2012
- Development Center of the Ozarks, Committee Member, 2006-2008
- Tau Kappa Epsilon International Fraternity Regional Advisor, 2005-2008
- Tau Kappa Epsilon International Fraternity – Vice President, 1997-1998; Treasurer, 1999-2001
- Student Ambassador, University of Nebraska College of Law, 2002-2004
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, Torts and Civil Actions: Summary of Recent Product Liability & Premises Liability Cases, The Missouri Bar Annual Law Update, 2005
- Co-author, Torts and Civil Actions: Summary of Recent Product Liability Cases, The Missouri Bar Annual Law Update, 2006
- Speaker, Missouri Rule of Civil Procedure 68 01A: Masters in Circuit Courts, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers 2007 Annual Meeting
- Speaker, Wrongful Death Settlements in Missouri, 2007, presented to major Missouri insurance company.
- KY3 News Feature: Small Business Liability, 2012
- Panel Member, How the Federal Circuit View Daubert, Trial Attorneys of America Annual meeting, 2013
- Presenter, Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now, National Business Institute, 2013