Springfield Banking Law Attorneys
Comprehensive Advice & Litigation Support for Clients Throughout Southwestern Missouri
Lending institutions in the U.S. operate under strict and often ambiguous regulatory regimes. Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC provides reliable guidance for retail, commercial, and investment banks, savings and loans companies, and credit unions throughout Missouri. Since 1976, our attorneys have helped a variety of lenders manage compliance despite the proliferation of new rules and regulations.
Need professional legal help with a Missouri banking law issue? Arrange for a consultation with a Springfield banking law lawyer by calling us at (417) 557-3407. Or send us an email via our online request form.
Banking Law Issues
Our firm provides valuable advice and tenacious representation on a range of matters related to:
- Banking regulations
- Secured transactions
- Commercial borrowing and lending
- Consumer protection
No matter the issue, our banking law attorneys have the knowledge and experience to help you.
As compliance issues take up more and more of a bank’s resources, lenders are relying more heavily on experienced and knowledgeable legal counsel to interpret regulations and assist in drafting and implementing sound policies. Our attorneys work closely with boards and management of financial institutions to help ensure compliance with state and federal law.
The scope of our practice encompasses:
- Regulatory matters. These include Federal Reserve matters, Office of the Comptroller matters, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) matters, Sarbanes-Oxley violations, and anti-trust investigations.
- Compliance with state law. This includes affiliate or insider relationships, anti-money laundering, capital adequacy regulations, and more.
- Bank representation. This can include conflicting claims against a joint account, exercise of the right to set-off, collections litigation, allegations of unauthorized use of debit and credit cards, creditors’ rights litigation, and creditor liens and loans.
Turn to us for advice and guidance on any banking law issues.
Since securitization was a crucial factor contributing to the housing and banking crises starting in 2008, lenders now face greater scrutiny and higher standards for collateralization. Strict new standards for foreclosures also have been established.
We advise lenders on the legal efficacy of numerous issues related to secured transactions:
- Investment securities
- Letters of credit
- Loan workouts
- Bankruptcy reorganization
- Remedies under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
We provide pertinent advice and precise legal instruments to enhance the security of your bank’s transactions.
Commercial Lending & Borrowing
Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC negotiates, drafts, and reviews loan instruments for lending institutions and commercial borrowers. Through due diligence, we have helped clients reach agreement on sound, mutually-beneficial deals for major industrial, commercial, and residential developments.
Our attorneys regularly advise commercial and banking clients on the following legal issues:
- Promissory notes
- Security and guaranty agreements
- Blocked accounts
- Deposit account control agreements
- Joint accounts
- Revolving credit
- Term loans
- Equipment leasing and finance
- Letters of credit
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Organization of holding companies
- Lines of credit
Lenders and commercial borrowers can trust our knowledge, experience, and diligence.
Lenders that deal directly with consumers must adopt and maintain policies that comply with state and federal regulations or face liability for damages. Since this is another area where the regulatory landscape is constantly shifting, our firm keeps abreast of changes so our clients can readily adapt. We also provide staunch defense to allegations of improprieties in lending and collections.
The consumer lending issues we manage include:
- Truth in lending
- Truth in savings
- Equal credit opportunity
- Fair lending
- Electronic funds transfer
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Information privacy and security
- Credit card regulations
- Mortgage loans
- Credit card debt
- Internet banking
- Cash management services
- Frozen accounts
- Holds on deposits
Our experience in consumer-protection litigation helps us resolve allegations quickly and cost-effectively.
Consult with a Springfield Banking Law Attorney Today
Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC is an established banking law firm conveniently located in and serving lending institutions and commercial borrowers throughout Missouri.