Springfield, Missouri, Injury Firm Protects the Rights of Motorcycle Accident Victims
Zealously pursing full payment for your medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering
While motorcycles are a popular way to travel around Missouri, bikers are largely unprotected from dangers on the roadway, such as careless drivers and poorly maintained roads. If you have been seriously injured while riding your bike, you need an experienced accident attorney to protect your interests. At Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC, we have the knowledge and dedication to stand up to insurance companies and win the compensation you deserve.
Causes of motorcycle accidents in Missouri
While motorcycle accidents are far less common than auto accidents, they are typically more serious. In fact, 80 percent of all Missouri motorcycle crashes in 2011 resulted in death or injury. To date, 82 motorcyclists were killed and 2,166 were injured. While motorcycle accidents have numerous causes, come of the most common include:
- Failure to yield — Drivers can trigger a serious crash by failing to pay careful attention when turning, merging or changing lanes. Left-turn collisions are particularly common at intersections.
- Failures to recognize a motorcycle — Distracted drivers texting or otherwise distracted often don’t see motorcycles until it is too late.
- Tailgating — Drivers often fail to recognize how quickly a motorcycle can come to a stop. Following too closely can cause a serious rear-end collision.
- Road hazards — Road defects, such as potholes, uneven pavement, debris in the roadway or pooling water, are particularly dangerous for bikers. In some cases, the public entities responsible for maintaining the roadways can be held accountable.
- Defective equipment — If a faulty motorcycle part or motorcycle helmet defect contributed to the crash or the severity of your injuries, you may pursue a claim against the manufacturer or seller of the product.
- Alcohol impairment and speeding — Single motorcycle accidents often involve risky behaviors on behalf of the rider, including alcohol or drug impairment and speeding.
Because insurance companies will often attempt to shift the blame to the biker, it is always important to have an experienced Springfield motorcycle accident attorney on your side. Under Missouri’s comparative negligence statute, if you are found at fault for the accident, any recovery you receive in a personal injury lawsuit is reduced by your percentage of liability. For instance, if you were 20 percent at fault for the accident, your damages can be reduced by 20 percent. So long as your liability is 99 percent or less, you are entitled to recover damages.
Obtaining much-needed compensation for serious injuries
While motorcycle helmets offer the best protection from serious brain injury, bikers are otherwise unprotected in the event of a crash. As a result, the injuries they suffer are severe. Common injuries include:
Motorcycle accident victims often face long and difficult recoveries, including many weeks of missed work and costly medical bills. To put yourself in the best position to continue with your life, you need a skilled and dedicated Springfield accident lawyer by your side. At Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC, we work tirelessly on behalf of accident victims to obtain full and fair compensation for:
In the case of a fatal accident caused by negligence, family members may file a wrongful death claim. Potential damages include mental anguish, emotional pain and suffering, loss of society and companionship, and the victim’s future work earnings or benefits.
Contact experienced Springfield injury lawyers about your motorcycle accident
Relying on more than 25 years of experience, the injury lawyers of Lowther Johnson Attorneys at Law, LLC work hard to get you back on your feet after a serious motorcycle crash. Call our office today at 417-866-7777 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.